Ruth's Reviews > The Devil Wears Plaid

The Devil Wears Plaid by Teresa Medeiros

I'm not sure exactly how much I actually liked this one, so I'm going it 2.5 stars, somewhere between "I liked it" and "It was OK".

What I liked about it:

- The melodramatic church-storming-bride-snatching by men-in-kilts bit was actually pretty good. It's a pretty cheesy idea, but it's well-written and I didn't once think "Oh, for God's sake!"

- The way the Scottish accent is written in. It's incredibly well-done.

- The hero - sigh. He's just wonderful. If only there really were men in kilts like him, the entire female population of the world would probably decamp to Scotland just to get a piece.

- The heroine - I thought she was pretty good. She was doing what she had to do in marrying the Earl, but even she could see that it could have ended up OK for her, after the old buzzard kicked the bucket. I liked that she was a woman of sense and of practical ability.

- The secondary characters - I have to admit, I probably liked the secondary characters even better than the hero and heroine. The hero's cousin, and the Earl's nephew, in particular, have some great lines, and really make the story for me. Without them, it would have been pretty dreary, and I actually wish more had been made of them.

- The plot was pretty good. Some twists and turns, some unexpected events. It worked.

What I didn't like so much:

- The heroine's family - I really struggled when they were painted to be so awful. I didn't believe that the heroine's sisters would have been so useless, or dim-witted, in comparison to the heroine when their fortunes had taken such a tumble, and the heroine's assessment of her father was unfair, I felt. Yes, he turned to alcohol to drown his sorrows, but he didn't seem a horrible, uncaring, unloving man, and selling off daughters for cash was common practice.

- In one minute, the heroine is so naive she doesn't know what a penis is, and in the next, she "understands" that a man can sexually pleasure a woman without penetration? What!? Er, no. She's either naive or she isn't. Likewise, the heroine's mother has given her the old Wifely Duties speech, explaining what has to happen for conception, but the heroine "understands" there are ways to avoid conception. I just didn't buy this at all.

- The night of the loss of the heroine's virginity, she and the hero are at it like rabbits all night long. All I could think of was "ouch, I bet that'll smart in the morning"

- The hero and the Earl's nephew have had dealings before, which was fine. But apparently, the hero managed to keep secret from the Earl's nephew exactly who he was FOR YEARS. This is just so silly, I nearly laughed. They would have known who the other was immediately, since they would have been referred to by their surnames, not nicknames, and anyone with the name "Sinclair" would have belonged to the Sinclair clan.

So, 2.5 stars. Meh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil Wears Plaid.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant I so enjoy your reviews, Ruth. I see these highland books EVERYWHERE, but och, I dinna ken owt the fuss o'er these lads for the most part.

Usually what I like the best is the dialogue.

Have you read anything else by this author?

Ruth Thanks Tammy!

This is the first one by this author I've read. I have one more that I bought ages ago, but if I'm not smitten with it, will probably give her a miss.

It's not that it was awful, there were just some things which struck me as a bit out of place/sloppy. The heroine seemed to "understand" an awful lot about some things, but was as daft as a brush about others. You just either know about sex, or you don't!!

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant LOL!

Ruth Have you read it? What did you think about it?

message 5: by Tammy (last edited Mar 04, 2011 04:05PM) (new)

Tammy Walton Grant I haven't read it, Ruth, although I have a couple of her other books on my tbr (and walked right past them at the ubs this afternoon, which I didn't realize until I got home. Dammit.)

I tend not to pick up 'highlander' type books, or anything with a plaid or tartan on the cover. I'm probably missing some great books, but I think it's a kneejerk reaction to the sheer number of those books out there. I do it with vampire books too.

edit: I just said books 4 times in one paragraph. Yikes. Good thing I'm not a writer.

message 6: by Kimo (new)

Kimo I know you read this quite some time ago, but I wanted to comment on your review Ruth. I feel the same way you do. For me, this book was about 2.5 stars. Mostly because I felt the characters lacked the depth that keeps me engaged. Plus, I was bored so I skimmed through part of the middle. For me Jamie wasn't quite enough of an Alpha male. Thanks again for the review.

Ruth Kimo wrote: "I know you read this quite some time ago, but I wanted to comment on your review Ruth. I feel the same way you do. For me, this book was about 2.5 stars. Mostly because I felt the characters lac..."

Oooh, skimming. If I do that, then I know the next few hours are doing to go really slooooowwwwllllyyy, and I start figuring out what I'm going to read next.

message 8: by Kimo (new)

Kimo You are right- time to start thinking about what is next. I loved Lisa Kleypas's Hathaway series, if you haven't read that yet. And of course many of the Julia Quinn books are very good. I am reading quite a bit of Hannah Howell right now as well as a few other older authors. Thanks again.