Kay Prime's Reviews > Pimp: The Story of My Life

Pimp by Iceberg Slim

Jan 27, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, nonfic-autobio-bio-memoir, african-american
Recommended to Kay by: YusefWateef
Recommended for: fans of urban fiction
Read from January 02 to 25, 2011, read count: 1

I appreciate the candor with which Slim has revealed his world. The only other book I've read with such a disturbing level of misogyny is the fiction of American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, so that's saying a lot. I never understood how a person can think of another as less than and in such base terms, but perhaps that is a prerequisite for the pimp game.

His wit is prickly, sharp and hilarious. One pimp's 'ho, who is in the rain and complaining about being wet, is told "Walk between the rain drops, bitch." Or Slim's comment on the justice system when he's set up by a cop and convicted of a crime he didn't commit: 'Why did Justice really always wear a blindfold? I knew now. It was because the cunning bitch had dollar signs for eyeballs.'

Slim's story is fascinating and reads like urban fiction, which means the writing isn't anything special but his portrayal will keep you engaged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pimp.

01/07/2011 page 113
36.0% "Slim really hated women but perhaps that is a prerequisite for a pimp. The only other book that has me cringe at the disturbing level of misogyny is American Psycho by BEE and that's saying something. The language, aside from being outdated, is usually prickly. One pimp has a 'ho in the rain and when she complains about getting wet he says, "Walk between the rain drops, bitch." Cold- blooded and funny. *yoink*"
01/15/2011 page 221
71.0% "I'm really disgusted by Slim's attitude toward women. I don't understand how one person can think of another as less than and in such base terms. The relationship between pimp and ho is a despicable one. But I suppose it's consensual. That aside, I appreciate the candor in which Slim has revealed his world. The writing is very basic but he is witty and insightful (also qualities of a pimp). 3 stars?"