Fen's Reviews > Infinity Beach

Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt

Sep 14, 10

Read in September, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Enjoyable, but ultimately unsatisfying. It almost seems like it's three or four stories all rolled into one that don't quite flow together smoothly. The first part of the book was the best: basically a mystery, set in the far future, with the protagonist trying to figure out what happened to her older sister/clone (and, by extension, solve several other mysteries that crop up).

The trouble comes when she and a friend decide they have to venture into deep space to investigate the area. The idea behind it is rather clever... they were going out to a point where they could intercept the broadcasts from the ship her sister had been on 30 years earlier in hopes of listening in on the incident that led to her disappearance. However, by that point the book had already lost me... I just couldn't buy the protagonist (and friend) being able to successfully steal an instellar research vessel. And it just got worse from there, with the protagonist pulling off stunt after stunt that I just couldn't quite believe she'd be able to do.

So, I'd rate this one as enjoyable, but not fantastic. I like the writer's general style, so I'll try some of his other books... I'm just hoping he gets better at plotting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinity Beach.