Rosemarie's Reviews > The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

F_50x66
Oct 29, 10

Read from September 15 to October 10, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I was recommended this book from one of my friends a while back, but never got to it until this year. When first reading this book I was a tad bit lost. Mitch Albom the author of The Five People You Meet in Heaven began his novel from the end, in other words the main character’s death. Yeah I know right? Why would they give away the whole book by starting off with Eddie dying? It made no sense to me as well. At a point I wanted to just drop the book but since it was recommended I assumed it had to be decent enough to finish. As the other implies, the end is always a new beginning. Eddie is an elderly man about to turn 83 years old. My first impression of him was a lost, lonesome, and lethargic old man. He seemed unsatisfied with his life and as if he was waiting for something to be thrown at him. After getting impaired from fighting in war he was employed as some what of a mechanic, if you want to call it that, at a local amusement park. On the day he turned the big 83 years old Eddie dies. His death is caused by risking his life to safe a little girl who was about to get hit by a ride that had fallen. The last thing Eddie saw was the little girl’s frightened face. The book continues talking about his birthdays as a child. Then when Eddie wakes up in his eternal life. He meets strangers but who he feels he has known for his entire life. These “5 people” Eddie meets in heaven help him discover why it was time for him to die. As well if he died with accomplishment and satisfaction. Eddie wanted to know the reason of why this was occurring to him, which you will read if you continue reading! I was really intrigued with Albom’s usage of characterization and imagery. The imagery helped visualize everything in your mind. Especially the big accident. I would recommend this book to those who would want to read something out of the ordinary. It is not lengthy but much more of a fun book with many twists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five People You Meet in Heaven.