Sarah's Reviews > The Testament

The Testament by John Grisham

F 50x66
Sep 16, 10

Read from September 14 to 16, 2010

I confess that I enjoy John Grisham novels--they are generally easy to read, have realistic characters, and have a good plot. This one fell into that category for me, also. Not great literature, but fine for a quiet September afternoon. Despite the title of the book, I was surprised by the heavy Christian theme that ran through the book, but it was mostly believable and relevant to the plot.

One thing bothered me throughout, however, and in the end cast a shadow over the book for me, as it did for some other reviewers. The author spent time detailing the terrible human rights struggles faced by indigenous people in Brazil, and how parties from government agencies to corporations have stolen land, killed the people, and eradicated their culture. However, there seemed to me no real acknowledgment of the fact that missionaries (while well-intentioned and often providing medical care, education, and care for orphans) have also been the cause of disease and the loss of cultural belief systems around the world. From an anthropological standpoint, Rachel's Lane work to replace this tribe's belief system with one SHE deemed to be better, is certainly questionable.

A book of this type is hardly trying to answer questions about whether there is only one true pathway to knowing God, and I am certainly not able to answer that, either. Unfortunately, by not addressing this question (while happily hefting blame on other groups), the author presented an arrogant assumption that we as Christians have all of the right answers for everyone else. Just didn't sit well with me.

Other than that, it was mostly entertaining and I'd read other books of his in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Testament.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah This is the only Grisham book I've "read". Steve and I listened to it on tape. Really enjoyed it.