Jane Stewart's Reviews > All Creatures Great and Small

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

Sep 14, 10

bookshelves: memoirs, veterinary-rural-practice
Read in September, 2010

Pleasant and enjoyable stories about a veterinary surgeon and his farm animal patients and their owners in the 1940s.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Christopher Timothy. It was pleasant. It is partially autobiographical, but primarily fiction. It was written by a veterinary surgeon who worked in Yorkshire, England, starting in the 1940s. It is told in the first person and describes the working life of a country vet whose primary patents are large farm animals. He is sometimes injured by the animals, for example a horse kicking him. He also tells stories about the owners of the animals. For anyone interested in becoming a vet, I’d highly recommend this, but it is also entertaining for the rest of us. This is a period from the past before many drugs and modern treatments were discovered. I understand more vets today practice on dogs, cats, and other companion animals as opposed to large farm animals. Film and TV versions of the book are also available.

DATA:
Copyright: 1972. Genre: memoirs, veterinary rural practice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Creatures Great and Small.