Sammee (I Want to Read That)'s Reviews > Far from You

Far from You by Lisa Schroeder

4.5 Stars

Verse novels are still a new experience for me but they are fast becoming something of an addiction. After reading this one I want to get my hands on as many as I can and preferably all of those written by the rather talented Lisa Schroeder.

Far From You is the story of Alice's journey after the death of her mother. Time has passed and her father has remarried and now has a baby daughter. Alice is finding it hard to accept all the change and is not connecting to her new family. But when she finds herself trapped in a snow storm she begins to re-evaluate what it is she holds dear.

I loved Far From You. I am still in awe of how much story and characterisation is fitted within the pages. Although it felt such a quick read - it also feels as if I have just finished a much longer book. So much detail and emotion is included in the choice of words that it feels very powerful.

I loved Alice and could completely understand her reluctance to accept the changes within her family structure. It must be extremely hard to reconcile letting someone new into your life while still honouring those who have gone without feeling as if you are forgetting them. I also really enjoyed the story lines involving her friend Claire and her boyfriend Blaze. I really adored Blaze and thought he was a great match for Alice.

The story had a great pace and I really felt the tension when the snow storm hit. I really wasn't sure if this would end happily or not - I'll let you find out for yourselves - and I loved the slight supernatural element. I was left with the impression it could have been real or it could have been Alice's imagination/subconscious. You are left to make that decision and I really enjoyed that element to the story.

I can't wait to read more books by Lisa Schroeder and more verse novels in general. If you haven't tried one yet I would definitely recommend you do. You might be pleasantly surprised and it could open up a whole new reading experience. It certainly has for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far from You.