Terry's Reviews > Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery

Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds

Sep 14, 2010

it was ok
Read in September, 2010

I like the idea that slideware is a sufficiently developed form that there's an ecosystem of tools made to make one suck less at its usage. This book dips a toe in the water of improving ones tool usage but there are several things that get in the way.

1) Walls of Text - Many of the words are wasted and several times I'd find that I'd skipped a paragraph, reread it and gain nothing.

2) References to Asian Culture - Many of these asides simply got in the way. I got the constant feeling of "this is for artists" when some cultural term was used instead of the translation making some things hard to follow.

3) Poor Organization - I couldn't identify any information to the flow of the book.

4) Internal contradiction - The author states that slides are nothing without the presentation then has an entire chapter dedicated to... slides.

The book could have been reduced to two or three long blog entries or a pamphlet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Presentation Zen.

05/28 marked as: read