Yellowoasis's Reviews > Mice

Mice by Gordon Reece

U_50x66
Oct 17, 10

bookshelves: 2010

** spoiler alert ** Well, I really wanted to like this book more. I love a good revenge thriller. The story is enjoyable, if a bit far-fetched. I didn't really believe the premise or the heroine's journey. The set-up was too heavy-handed, the bullying scenes were too graphic and could have been handled much more subtly whilst remaining sinister. The mother is a doormat, and the partners at the law firm she works in were cardboard cutouts. As well, I didn't think the point of view was entirely convincing. This is a first person novel, in the voice of a 16 year old girl, but much of the narration reads like the voice of a mature man i.e. the author. I just don't believe 16 year olds think like that. Some of the writing was very clumsy - I groaned inwardly every time I read the words "it was as if...", knowing that the narrator would then tell us exactly what was meant, obviously not trusting us to work it out from the writing. Overall, I wasn't sure I bought the message of this book: a girl and her mother are both bulled in their own ways, they stand up to an intruder in an extreme way, they feel a bit of remorse but not much, and then live happily ever after. Disappointing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mice.