Serena Yates's Reviews > With a Little Help From My Friends

With a Little Help From My Friends by J.P. Bowie

Oct 04, 10

bookshelves: m-m
Read in October, 2010 — I own a copy

This is a wonderful story, written in first person, and with lots of self-deprecating humor coming from the narrator and main character, Drew. When Drew falls for Cameron, who has only recently come out, he knows he might be in trouble. The emotions Drew goes through touched me, as did the situation Cameron finds himself in.

Drew has a lot of good friends, who are all eager to help him find love after his recent relationship disaster. He isn't sure he'll ever find love again, and even when he does, there are complications. He tries to hold back and be rational about the potential, but can't do it. Some of his assumptions about Cameron are understandable, but misplaced.

Cameron is a great character. His issue isn't as much admitting that he's gay (he is amazingly certain about that), but dealing with the fact that he has never been with a man. Once he kisses Drew, though, the decision becomes easier. Some obstacles still remain, and it takes Cameron a while to figure it all out.

I liked both characters a lot, the issues were real and dealt with in a humorous yet realistic and satisfactory way. A good read, if slightly on the short side.

Note: This book was provided by TEB for the purpose of a review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With a Little Help From My Friends.