Michael Minutillo's Reviews > The Light Fantastic

The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett

Sep 15, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, humorous
Read from September 13 to 15, 2010

** spoiler alert ** After finding themselves falling off the edge of the disc at the end of The Colour of Magic Rincewind, Twoflower and The Luggage are miraculously rescued and deposited back into almost certain danger. Here they meet up with Cohen the Barbarian, the Discs oldest hero who appreciates the value of a good book (with nice thin pages) and hate shoop (er.. soup). At the same time the wizarding community of The Unseen University are worried that something awful is going to happen. It might have something to do with terrible Red Star that seems to be getting closer (and is it getting warmer in here?). There's only one thing for it, they need to say the Eight Great Spells, but one of those is on holiday and wandering around the Disc in the mind of Rincewind.

A solid conclusion but not a brilliant one. Cohen is a great character and his bits are probably the highlights of the whole episode. This is probably the 7th or 8th time I've read this book and I never remember what happens in it. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad, it's just not up to the fantastic standard that the other Discworld novels reach. Read it if you're a completionist or if you really badly need to know how the Rincewind/Twoflower story ends. Or if you want to find out what happens to The Luggage which has so much personality I wouldn't be surprised to see it in its own book sometime in the future. Perhaps a horror story for children or something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Fantastic.

09/13/2010 page 165
58.0% "I never remember the contents of this book but it still has it's moments"