Susan Gottfried's Reviews > Rock & Roll Homicide

Rock & Roll Homicide by R.J. McDonnell

Sep 13, 2010

bookshelves: rock-fiction, west-of-mars-recommends
Read in September, 2010

Review originally posted at http://rockread.westofmars.com

When author RJ McDonnell dropped me a note, I was more than thrilled to hear from him. I'd seen his name around in certain circles and since he writes about a dude who used to be in band, and since his first mystery, Rock and Roll Homicide.

Not the sexiest title out there, but I love the cover shot of a Fender Strat that's been splattered with blood. Even though the dead guy dies in the preface, and I doubt any residue would make such a lovely pattern on a white strat, it doesn't matter. And if it did, there's so much good stuff going on here.

I'm not sure where to start, really, other than to say I loved this tale. I loved the main character, Jason Duffy. I loved his quirky cast of mentally disabled people and helpmeets. I loved Duffy's narrative voice; it has total character. I loved his dad and the veteran, grizzled cop and the computer geek dude who never wants to use his names.

Maybe we should back up. Our intrepid hero, Jason Duffy, hasn't been in business very long when he gets a visit from the very wealthy Chelsea Tucker. It turns out it's her husband's brains that have been spattered across the aforementioned guitar -- among other things. It seems her husband is the famous -- but contentious -- Terry Tucker, frontman and business genius behind Doberman's Stub, a band rocketing to the top -- and currently recording their third album. This is the one that's going to push them up to that coveted peak. Everyone knows it.

That's why Terry was killed, it turns out. He put on a pair of headphones (conveniently given to him by his wife. What a loving woman.) and ... kablooey!

The wife needs Jason's help to clear her name. And Jason dives right in, encountering the Russian Mafia, the Irish Mafia, Orangemen, half-naked women, photographers with Tourette's Syndrome, and a whole laundry list of surprises and twists and turns that even a experienced knitter couldn't unravel.

Needless to say, McDonnell pulls it off. Neatly, I might add. And with no small dose of humor -- particularly the scene where Jason goes sneaking around a shower. Trust me. It's the best scene in a good book.

Now, you know I can't write a review without talking about the downers, and there were some, of course. I've yet to read a book without them.

In Rock and Roll Homicide, there are two big ones. First is that the cast of characters is huge. Quirky and well-drawn, sure. But it's big. Big casts can get confusing, and alliteration never helps. Oh, I'm not talking about the way in which half the characters have Russian names. See above about the Russian mafia.

Rather, there are an awful lot of women whose names start with the letter J. A lot of people with the first initial of C.

It's a shame, really. These characters are all given such delicious quirks and characters, and then to confuse us with the similar names... talk about torture.

The other issue is bigger. Like an increasing number of books of late, the editing could have been better. Not just punctuation, which I'm a stickler for after spending so many years as a copy editor. Sentences could have been tightened or rewritten for maximum reader impact. Frankly, I'd love to get my hands on future books from McDonnell and have a go at it. He's got so many elements right. He's got a great hero, with a great voice. And his rock? It rolls, baby. This guy knows his stuff, all right.

I've got McDonnell's second book here, waiting for me to read it, too. Rock & Roll Rip-Off, it's called. All I gotta say is that it'll be a ripoff if there's no third book in the works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock & Roll Homicide.