Courtney's Reviews > The Dirty Girls Social Club

The Dirty Girls Social Club by Alisa Valdes

Sep 13, 10

** spoiler alert ** This book was different for me, which was good. I enjoyed the unraveling of the stories and even the constant conflict. It was long, which I also liked - but the beginning dragged while the ending wrapped up much quicker than it should have. Not just to match my expectations, but because SO much time was spent explaining from whence these women came that it felt like robbery to have their futures wrapped up in a typical, chick-lit, perfunctory way.

The book could have used some more explanation as to why these women continued to be friends. There were the typical "drunk in college" experiences that supposedly bonded them, but I thought it was lacking in showing why these women showed up for each other through thick and thin. Was it simply because they were Latina? I cannot understand why they stuck with Lauren or who could put up with Usnavys. I liked Rebecca, but seemed to be disliked by the others. I had a big problem with the character of Elizabeth, as she seemed to embody every stereotype the author could not place with the other women. It was completely unbelievable that these women would pay for the flight so they could continue to be friends with Amber. She wanted no part of them and served no purpose as a friend. Seriously - they never knew about Sara? I know things about my best friends that they do not even know about themselves, yet none of these women knew Sara's secret?

The more I think about it, the more frustrating it is because a couple more rewrites could have turned this into an incredibly engrossing, enlightening experience. But it was not quite there. I liked it, though, and will continue to read more works by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dirty Girls Social Club.