Marlo's Reviews > The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began

The Age of Comfort by Joan DeJean

U 50x66
Nov 16, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, nonfiction
Read from October 08 to November 16, 2010

This book starts large and works its way down. It details how comfort spread from architecture all the way down to furniture, fixtures and what people wore, but also gives an accurate picture of the personalities who made it more than a trend. The little details about the people, some Royal and some not, really made it for me. The final few chapters from 'The Bedroom' to 'The Fabric of Their Lives' are the most enjoyable as they are the most personal. My favorite picture was of the Marquise de Pompadour in her layers and layers of fabric, seated so comfortably on a new padded chair. I had to keep referring back to this picture, for every chapter or so the author would bring out a detail that I never noticed and made the overall portrait so much clearer. It's like that with so many everyday items that you will find yourself looking at chairs, fabric and historic paintings in a different way. A great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Comfort.