Jacqie's Reviews > Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals

Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin

Sep 13, 2010

Read in September, 2010

I thought this was a very accessible book that taught me a bit about some animals that I thought I was familiar with, as well as some I haven't had much exposure to. I enjoyed her take on dogs: not necessarily needing an "alpha", but needing a strong "parent". I didn't know that cats have a harder time perceiving facial expressions than dogs. I don't know much about stock animals, but was fascinated with her opinions on how to enrich environments for cattle, pigs and chickens. It sickens me to read how often these animals, on which we all depend, are thoughtlessly abused.
It's sad to me that so many people have to be reminded that treating animals humanely is the right thing to do (as well as the most profitable thing to do in the long run). I respect Temple's efforts to change the meat industry instead of condemning it, for it's not going away any time soon, and working to change the system rather than trying to destroy it is more productive, practical, and realistic.
I also was interested in some of her throw-away observations of people, like people who haven't been trained in hands-on creation having a harder time with design.
I think Temple's aim in this book was to describe animal behavior and needs to the lay reader. There are many different education levels, so this was no easy task. I think she did a good job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals Make Us Human.