J.M.'s Reviews > Green Lantern: Rebirth

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns

Jan 17, 11

bookshelves: comics, superheroes
Read from January 15 to 17, 2011

I actually always thought GL was kinda cool, but never read any of the comics. So, I decided, this mid 2000's relaunch by DC and Geoff Johns was as good a time as any to indoctrinate myself to Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, especially in "light" of the forthcoming movie.

GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH reprints the 2004-2005 WIZARD X and GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH issues 1-6. It's written by one of DC Comics' stalwarts, Geoff Johns, who has made his name on this title, redefining (or should I say clarifying) important but glossed over elements of Green Lantern's/Hal Jordan's back story, as well as explaining much about the existence of the Guardians of Oa.

This graphic novel does a fairly decent job of clarifying some questions that loyal GL fans have probably had, although new readers like myself may find it a little too snipped and fast-paced, and the whole presence of the Spectre as housing the soul of Hal Jordan was lost on me. I assume I'd have to go back and read earlier issues to understand this part. Also, this story is chock full of several staple DC characters (other Lanterns, the Justice League, and several of the classic GL adversaries, e.g., Sinestro, Parallax, even Batman to a point); in fact, Johns really paints the Justice League in a cocky, overbearing, pushy role that makes sense despite annoying me some. As an aside, with the release of the YOUNG JUSTICE animated series two weeks ago, seems like the Justice League is taking a bit of a hit as the big bully among the good guys in the DC Universe.

The nits mentioned above notwithstanding, I enjoyed reading GL:R and plan to continue reading more. I hope Johns has an opportunity to slow down the pace a little now that he's settled the back story issues.

And since this is a comic, it doesn't make sense to neglect mention of the artist, a fella named Ethan van Sciver, whose work I'm not familiar with previous to this series, but a dude who seems like he was born specifically to draw the GREEN LANTERN comic books series. His art is very dynamic, very slick, very inventive, and quintessential. Every once in a while, he goes a little crazy with the pages being way busy, but we are talking about guys who can fly around and conjure anything their imaginations and willpowers can muster through their rings. That pretty much means once in a while, you're going to have to really scrutinize some details to sort out what you're looking at. I'm happy Van Sciver is on the series for a while. His art alone makes me eager to read more.

GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH is a good stepping on point for new readers, and since this storyline is available in graphic novels and at several libraries, there's no reason not to put it off. You do plan to see the movie, after all, right?

Three stars (out of five). Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Lantern.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike I did the same as you, stepping into GL mythos with this as my gateway drug. I'll keep reading but I wasn't quite as enthused as you on the story itself - though I agree that Johns should've slowed down and told some stories after this point.

J.M. It was decent brain candy, mostly for the art. I've since read more Geoff Johns and I'm very much 'meh' about his body of work. Not sure how he rose to the position at DC he currently enjoys. Oh, well. What can ya do, huh?