AH's Reviews > Mine Till Midnight

Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas

Oct 01, 10

bookshelves: own, book-challenge, historical, zzread-sept-2010, romance, first-in-series, favorites
Recommended for: Romance lovers
Read on September 26, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Have you ever finished reading a novel and just sat there and sighed? Did you ever feel sad that the book was finished? Sad, yet happy, at the same time? A goofy smile on your face? Mine Till Midnight left me feeling like that. What a thoroughly enjoyable book.

I had never read anything by Lisa Kleypas before, but I was assured that I was in for a treat. The book is like a festival for the senses. I literally did not put it down. The reader is transported to England in the mid 19th century. I was immersed in that world – the world of stately mansions, horses and carriages, proper manners, beautiful ball gowns, class distinctions, and of course, romance and forbidden love.

The characters are well developed and interesting. Cam Rohan is the dark and mysterious Roma that falls for our heroine, Amelia Hathaway. Cam always seems to be at the right place at the right time and seems to help the Amelia and the Hathaway family often. Cam is torn between returning to a simple life living under the stars or being with Amelia. It is interesting to note that Cam feels that he is cursed and that his curse is the ability to make money. In contrast, Amelia’s brother Leo seems cursed with the ability to lose money. Leo does not take responsibility for his family; instead he chooses to drink and gamble their meagre stipend away. Leo is grieving the loss of his love Laura and does not see a point to living.

I really liked Amelia’s character. She acted as the de facto head of her family, made all the decisions and arrangements for all. She cared for her sickly sister. Amelia worried about her sisters’ clothes, their education, and their introduction to society. I enjoyed how her relationship with Cam developed. It was absolutely beautiful.

I’ve added the rest of the Hathaways books to my ever-growing to-read list. I can’t wait to read more Lisa Kleypas novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mine Till Midnight.

09/26/2010 page 1
0.0% "Trying something different - AUTUMN book challenge" 5 comments
09/26/2010 page 60
17.0% "That Cam Rohan can sure run fast..." 4 comments
09/26/2010 page 149
41.0% "Leo is quite nasty. And how does Cam know to be at the right place at the right time?" 3 comments
09/26/2010 page 268
74.0% "I keep saying to myself "OK put the book down, time to get stuff ready for tomorrow" but I can't. This is a really good book." 1 comment
09/26/2010 page 276
77.0% "What was the strange mark on Merripen?" 4 comments
09/27/2010 page 360
100.0% "What a delightful book!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katyana Awesome that you liked it! I hear great things about this series... I keep meaning to pick it up.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH It was such an enjoyable read. The characters were interesting and the romance was hot. I've been trying to find time to review but stuff gets in the way.

Wicked Incognito Now Katyana--the Hathaways move in next door to Westcliff from the Wallflowers series. So we get to see Lillian and the clan some more.

Katyana Oh really? AWESOME! That makes me even more excited to read it!

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Oh, there's a connection? Didn't know that. This was my first Lisa Kleypas book and I found it at the library book sale.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Great review, AH. I've so enjoyed this series.

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks - I really enjoyed the book and I can't wait to find more of her series.

Greta is Erikasbuddy NICE!! Loves it when you find something awesome at a libary sale :)

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Best place to buy romance novels.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I agree!! That's where I got my tentacle sexy book at lolz!! (I'll be starting that on Monday hehes!)

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I told LL we'd be reading Fool Moon around the 11th - does that work for you?

message 12: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Great review, AH! I'm a big Lisa Kleypas fan and really liked this book too.

Greta is Erikasbuddy @AH Yupper dups! The 11th works for me ;) Squee squee

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Catherine! I probably would have just passed this one by in my life before Goodreads. I'm glad I found it.

@Greta - it's a go then....Harry updates - yah!

Ronyell Awesome Review AH!!! I really enjoyed this story too and this was my first Lisa Kleypas book too!!! I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of her books!!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review! I definitely had that happy-sad feeling at the end!

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks! Love that happy-sad feeling.