Jojo's Reviews > The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits: Stories

The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits by Emma Donoghue

Jan 10, 08

bookshelves: read2008, short-stories
Read in January, 2008

This book has been on my to be read shelf for at least a couple years, and I decided to finally get around to reading it. I bought it because a couple other Emma Donoghue books had been recommended to me; they were not at the store the day I went to look for them, but this one was and was cheap, so I got it instead. I probably should have just kept on looking for the others.

It's not exactly bad; there were a couple stories I quite liked (the last one! and the one about the blind girl). But the collection is based on little historical tidbits. A super great idea, but I never got the feeling that she was actually adding anything to the stories. In some cases, the brief "this is where I got inspiration from" bit at the end of every story grabbed my attention more than the story based on it. Most of it just struck me as more boring than anything; considering the subject matter of most of the stories, this just should not have been.

I think I'll still check out her other books that I was recommended though. Some of her writing here was really excellent; she absolutely didn't strike me as a bad writer, just one who was perhaps a little misguided in the way she wrote this particular collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits.