Nikki's Reviews > The Dangerous Alphabet

The Dangerous Alphabet by Neil Gaiman

Sep 12, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: childrens-books

I loved Gris Grimly's artwork in the short collections of Edgar Allen Poe's poems, so I thought anything with his artwork would be great... Only problem is that this alphabet story was about kidnapping, child abuse and what looks to me as if it could be sexual child abuse. I'm sorry but I just can't appreciate anything along those lines, or anywhere close.

Also I was further disappointed in Neil Gaiman's writing. "A is for Always. That's where we embark". How is embark an a word? And how does it make sense of any kind that the beginning of something would have anything to do with "always".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dangerous Alphabet.

Lisa Rathbun I don't think "embark" is meant to be the A word, but rather Always. It's a little unclear to me, but could it mean that these children have taken this trip before? They ALWAYS start here in this place, leaving their dad behind reading the paper and slipping away to have an adventure, the way we watch horror movies on purpose to be scared?