Liza Gilbert's Reviews > Black Hole Sun

Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill

2035961
Sep 29, 10

bookshelves: young-adult

Where is Joss Whedon, does he know about this book, and is he getting his fair share of profits, since the entire tome is constructed around the worlds and characters Whedon created in Firefly?

Although the book is set on Mars, the list of Firefly similarities is alarming -

1) Pithy, sarcastic male leader with a troubled past (Captain Malcolm Reynolds)
2) Supportive, female subordinate who is a little too> supportive and makes you question the nature of the relationship (Zoe)
3) Humanoid creatures that terrify everyone and like to spend their spare time being cannibals (reavers)
4) A scrapy group hired to do a job with questionable equipment and the need to scrounge what tools they can find (entire crew of Firefly
5) A constant need to find palatable food for the crew
6) Border towns
7) When they swear, they swear in Chinese. COME ON! How could that NOT be a rip off from Joss Whedon?

The book was enjoyable, but fractured. I felt like the text wasn't smooth and it took a little bit of work to get through it. I do appreciate the action and the presence of another "boy book" out in the world for teens, though.

However, I'm not reading another book by this author until he comes up with something original and stops cannibalizing a la the reavers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hole Sun.

09/12/2010 page 40

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie Wow, it does sound like a rip-off of Firefly. With the news of the new Joss-less Buffy movie being made, I fear this has not been a good day for me as a Whedon fan.

Rose I totally agree! I kept thinking this is like an episode of Firefly...a really bad one at that.

Misty The fact that it sounds like Firefly is part of what sold me on it. I love Firefly and the personality types on it, the world around it, so similar is appealing to me. Joss keeps the same personality types in his own work even if the project changes, he defaults to his same troopers. It's not a bad thing, it's an excellent system.

Cyndy Aleo I'm 60% through it, and I'd add in a few other sci-fi specials. Wholy derivative piece of fiction. I'm not sure there's an original idea in here.

Droewyn Actually, Durango swears in about a half dozen languages, including Finnish and Gaelic.

message 6: by Hanna (new)

Hanna The guy on the cover of the book is not as good looking as Captain Reynolds in Firefly, though!

Rene Firefly with a dash of The Magnificent Seven...