Brett's Reviews > Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maguire

4282066
Sep 12, 10

I tried really hard to love this book but then reached a point where I realised that it just wasn't going to happen. For such a descriptive writer I found myself clinging to shadowy images of characters and images rather than the whole picture which is what Maguire readers are usually used to getting when reading one of his books... It seemed like there was not enough known about the main 'Snow White' character to truly feel for her or even care about what happened to her. I remember liking it at the time of reading it but can't really find much about it now that I enjoyed. As a Maguire fan I found it almost as a chore to finish this book, then when the end finally came, there was a sense of relief and then excitement when I could finally move onto another book. The reason I did not give it one star is because it may not have appealed to me as a story, the words that were written were characteristically beautiful and poetic. I found the idea of characters that were based on real-life scary figures in history to be clever, although I did not know enough about them to fully appreciate the references.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirror Mirror.