Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Lover Unleashed

Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward

Mar 18, 2011

liked it
Read from March 16 to 18, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Spoilage! Enter at your own risk...

Decided between a C+ or B-. This is not the strongest book in this series and smacks of Phury's book, who is MIA all the time. I wonder why? BTW I hate Phury's book and this is a close second with my feelings toward it.

Payne + Manny = ZZZZanye and their bonding over a horse, and no they don't have hot sex on a horse, and even if they did, that wouldn't make their relationship steamy or otherwise. Also Manny channels his inner BDB language to the point I want to smack him. Sorry, only V can talk that way and not make me fall into giggles.

The words "true" and "verily" need to be erased from Ward's canon. Also there is a word called "whard". Heh.

Xcor and his band of merry medieval horny men = Fail

Qhuay... *sob* major lack of screen time with these two even though Qhuinn really needs to find his own Dr. Dhrew stat.

The reveal about Butch and Manny and their relationship has pissed me off because Ward said she'd never go there with them back when V's book came out. Well, she did. Cop out!

Spoon BDSM for the win! (V and Butch will never look at a spoon the same way again)

So-so book that was more of a disappointment even though I give mad props for Ward because she is a very skilled author.

I will continue to read for the Qhuay HEA that is going to take years to get to.
46 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unleashed.

03/16/2011 page 1
0.0% "QHUAY! Rock on." 1 comment
03/17/2011 page 90
17.0% "V is not happy. Qhuinn *sob*" 3 comments
03/17/2011 page 200
38.0% "V and Qhuinn seriously need to go to therapy. Paging Dr. Dhrew! Also Manny acts too BDB like. Not diggin that, yo." 2 comments
03/17/2011 page 230
44.0% "let's get it on... sexual healing for the soul."
03/17/2011 page 400
76.0% "Who, Butch and V emotional scene had me weepy." 9 comments
03/17/2011 page 400
76.0% "BTW, Ward is going to make us suffer hard for Qhuay HEA." 4 comments
03/18/2011 page 500
95.0% "Ward has invented Spoon S&M."

Comments (showing 1-39)

dateUp arrow    newest »

(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick Dude...I'm right there with you. I NEED some Qhiunn and Blay. *sigh*

orannia Better have some hot Blay and Qhuinn lovin'.

*nods* Definitely! Actually, Blay & Qhuinn are the only reason I'm reading the book. I don't give a hoot about the two main characters. Do I need to hand my BDB card back now?

Pairee I am so with you!!!!

Mandy Dake Agrees!!!

message 35: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Mills that is so true!!!

Jeffrey Yeah! What she said!!!

Bells I agree! The Lover Mine cover was horrible!!!

message 32: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson Let's get it on...like donkey kong.

message 31: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson Spoon S & M sounds better than Fork S & M...but still sort of scary.

message 30: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Only 3 stars? Bummer.

message 29: by Kmont (new)

Kmont Dude, sorry, but to dislike that much about a book and claim the author is still skilled makes me scratch my head. But I know you love this series, soo.... I'll take your word for it! And cuz you know I lubs you. True?

message 28: by Alanna (last edited Mar 18, 2011 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Alanna "V (with a side of hot black wax and Butch) + Jane = Awesome! *after this you will have no doubt in your mind that Butch and V are just friends, no urges to become lovers or more. Ward has stomped on that and lit a match on it and turned it into ash*"

Really?? Your making me not want to read this.

message 27: by Jen (last edited Mar 18, 2011 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen You are the third person that has an ARC, that I know, and rated the book 3 stars. I am hoping the parts with V will keep me going because I do not give to craps about Payne/Manny.

Great review. Appreciate the honesty and not just slobering over Ward like some do.

message 26: by Sammy (new)

Sammy I am actually glad to hear that butch and v are officially done. I felt like it was wrecking their hea's by having v supposedly want butch after he was with jane.

orannia Thank you KB. Hmmm. Lover Avenged almost had me throwing in the towel on the series. Lover Mine was definitely better, but...this book has me worried.

message 24: by Tez (new)

Tez Dare I ask if a spoon went into an orifice below the belt? *concerned*

Katie(babs) Tez wrote: "Dare I ask if a spoon went into an orifice below the belt? *concerned*"

No. *shudder* Actually the reason why the spoon is used makes sense when you read it. No insertion of utensils were harmed while writing this book.

Tracy I'm glad I didn't preorder this one, as I think I would have only bought it for some serious Qhuay progression. I have a feeling I'm going to have to wait a long time for their story &, really, it's the only one I want.

Laura (Kyahgirl) what a great review. I love the BDB but some of the books don't work as well for me. I won't be rushing to put this on top of my TBR.

Katie(babs) The spoon part seems funny but when you read the scene and why it's used, you'll understand why it's powerful.

Also, V and Butch snuggle together at one point that cements their friendship in such a way that's lovely.

Jane rocked in this book.

message 19: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Katie is that the extent of what happens with butch and v then?

message 18: by Sammy (new)

Sammy I totally agree Barbara.

message 17: by Katie(babs) (last edited Mar 24, 2011 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie(babs) Sammy wrote: "Katie is that the extent of what happens with butch and v then?"

**SPOILERS**

What occurs between V and Butch is not sexual. Basically V needs to be abused much like a submissive would when dealing with a dominant. Butch takes on the dominant role and a gag ball, a hood and V being strung up and cut. The spoon is supposed to take the place of a knife as Butch is sliding it up toward a part of B's anatomy and thinks Butch will cut him in a very tender place or possibly mutilate him. Very powerful and shows how much trust are between the men.

message 16: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Thanks Katie.

message 15: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Thanks for the review. I really didn't like Phury's book either! I just cancelled my order from Lover Unleashed and will get on the wait list at the library. I would be mad if I paid hardback pricing for another one on par with Phury's book.

Katie(babs) Shannon wrote: "Thanks for the review. I really didn't like Phury's book either! I just cancelled my order from Lover Unleashed and will get on the wait list at the library. I would be mad if I paid hardback prici..."

Payne and Manny are very much like Corny and Phury.

Katie(babs) BamaGal wrote: "I see where the goofy 'language' is still in place, but how about all the pop culture references that Ward is so bad about? Is this another walking talking advertisement book?"

V talks the goofiest of all with her true dat and other slang. O.O

Katie(babs) Barbara wrote: "Okay, this is officially the BEST LU review. I finally find out about the spoon without stalking Mandi and fictionvixen's tweetstreams and I'm not judged for my dislike of the V/B horndogging."

This spoon scene is meant to be a very emotional part of the book and the way it's used, but I can't help but laugh.

Sphoon!

message 11: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ (last edited Mar 26, 2011 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ Geez, I already hate this book more and more. But since I knew we'd get LU2, it's no wonder.

V's my fave Brother but I hate Jane and his HEA! URGH!

I'd like more details on how she 'ends' the love/sexual attreaction between V and Butch. I'm not surprised she tries this again since we had the same in LU1. But how can she go from Butch is his and his possessiveness to just friends?!?!

Any memorable scenes between V and Payne? I so hope for some good scenes with them!

Katie(babs) Sarah wrote: "Geez, I already hate this book more and more. But since I knew we'd get LU2, it's no wonder.

V's my fave Brother but I hate Jane and his HEA! URGH!

I'd like more details on how she 'ends' th..."

V and Payne don't really share much page time together. V spends more time being emo and guilty over what has happened to Payne.

message 9: by Vic (new) - added it

Vic I wasn't that interested in this book when I heard it was about Payne. I'm even less interested now. Will I read it? Probably, I have no self control but it won't be hardcover!

Danyelle I'm so disappointed about the lack of Blay and Quinn! Their kinda the only reason I'm reading the book...

Katie(babs) Danyelle wrote: "I'm so disappointed about the lack of Blay and Quinn! Their kinda the only reason I'm reading the book..."

You'll be disappointed then. There is one hot scene toward the end with Blay, but not with Qhuinn.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review! Thanks for reminding me why I quit this series after Furry's awful snoozefest of a book. I don't think I could take any more heartbreak. :(

Katie(babs) Jen wrote: "Great review! Thanks for reminding me why I quit this series after Furry's awful snoozefest of a book. I don't think I could take any more heartbreak. :("

I'm in it for Qhuay. I want to see Ward write some hot man lurve.

Tracy I agree 100% with your review. I did like Qhuinn's "revelations" & think he's beginning to get to the point where we should get their HEA fairly soon. I wish it was next, but I have a feeling we'll have to get through another book first (hopefully not anymore after that). Qhuay is the only reason why I'm reading these books still. (ps. On another note, Layla is VERY annoying.)

Katie(babs) Tracy wrote: "I agree 100% with your review. I did like Qhuinn's "revelations" & think he's beginning to get to the point where we should get their HEA fairly soon. I wish it was next, but I have a feeling we'..."

If we do get the Qhuay HEA it probably won't be for another 3-4 years. *pout*

Since Layla has been in the books since Rhage's book, she has to get her own book soon. The question is who will she end up with? I say Lassiter or the B&B sex ghost Murhder.

Katie(babs) Barbara wrote: "Okay, I read the damn thing (worst $15 I've ever spent, what a butthole of a book) and I know about the sphoooooon. V does spend most of the book being emo.

It reinforces my appreciation of your ..."

V and Qhuinn need to see their own version of Dr. Dhrew.

Katie(babs) Barbara wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "V and Qhuinn need to see their own version of Dr. Dhrew."

Verily.

That has to be turned into a drinking game - take a drink, smack the person next to you in the head until som..."

Or everytime V says "true"