Tara's Reviews > Barefoot

Sep 12, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from September 11 to 16, 2010

I read Barefoot because it was on everyone's summer reading list. I love stories where people with little in common get woven together. In this book, you meet three sisters: Vicki, a mother of two battling lung cancer, Brenda, her sister who had the academic world on a string before throwing it all away on an affair with a student, and Melanie, Vicki's friend from Suburbia, finally pregnant after too many tries but with a husband who is having an affair with a coworker. They hole up in a family cottage in Nantucket. Toss in the local college boy acting as nanny for the summer and watch the drama unfold.

There's nothing about this story that is light. Everyone in this book is at a crossroads and no one's choices are easy. Even things that are supposed to be fun, cookouts, beach days, shopping trips, have ann air of depression. While Barefoot is well-written, it moves slowly through a murky plot. There are certain episodes that kept my interest, but the majority of the book was mundane. Despite the length, the story ends kind of abruptly. The loose ends tie together nicely, ironic given the 480 pages of turmoil before that.

I guess I wanted something deeper from a book that promised to be like Beaches. Better luck next time, I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barefoot.