Goddess's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
description
I greatly admire this book. However, not when I first read it (which was many years ago when I was a school kid). And even the second time I read it (aged 21), I was dubious as to my thoughts regarding its merits. I felt that it was very witty, eloquent prose and rather challenging, but I found myself skipping pages to get to the crucial bits of the plot. It was my third attempt that transformed my opinion of this novel. I was rendered fascinated, repulsed and horrified. I became obsessed with reading about those who live sordid, self-indulgent debauchery such as heroin addicts (while i listened to Requiem for Dream - composed by Clint Mansell)
descriptiondescription

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.

I ventured to read it a third time because I'd had just watched a brilliant ballet production (based on the book) at Saddlers Wells theatre (Angel, London) and I suppose I was in a morbid frame of mind. I decided another perusal of this book was necessary and that's when I appreciated it. It was morbid, gothic, and left me haunted.
I began in fact researching the effects of opium and started paying more attention to the heroin addicts at the homeless shelter (as well as donating to charities which dealt with education and prevention).

This book "touched" me in a way that left me haunted with its affect for some time. Its well worth reading. But don't expect a happy ending - just a satisfying one.

“What of Art?
-It is a malady.
--Love?
-An Illusion.
--Religion?
-The fashionable substitute for Belief.
--You are a sceptic.
-Never! Scepticism is the beginning of Faith.
--What are you?
-To define is to limit.”

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Quotes Goddess Liked

Oscar Wilde
“Not "Forgive us for our sins" but "Smite us for our iniquities" should be the prayer of man to a most just God.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde
“You told me you had destroyed it."

"I was wrong. It has destroyed me.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray