Christine Lindsay's Reviews > Surrender the Heart

Surrender the Heart by MaryLu Tyndall

Sep 12, 2010

Read in September, 2010

MaryLu Tyndall’s fast-paced, fresh style of writing always gives me a few hours to escape from the weariness of life, and inspires me at the same time.

Her latest, Surrender the Heart, is set during one of my favorite times in history, the War of 1812. The characters, Marianne Denton and Noah Brenin, are two ordinary people.

Marianne is aware Noah only wants to marry her for the fortune he supposes her to have. She has no love for him either, and allows him to remain under the delusion she’s wealthy for reasons of her own. When he walks out of their engagement party, she ends up concussed on his ship and far out to sea.

Things are bad enough until a British man-of-war darkens their horizon. Marianne and Noah, along with a few other crew members are impressed (kidnapped) off Noah’s cargo ship onto the hostile English vessel. Then war between Britain and the United States is declared.

Marianne finds herself in a situation much like that in the biblical account of Queen Esther. She learns that God has allowed the events in her life to bring her to ‘such a time as this’ whereby her faithfulness and obedience can save lives and change the course of history.

Marianne and Noah, as well as the crew of the Fortune discover that, when God is working through them, they are anything but ordinary. By the end of the novel, even the name of Noah’s ship is changed from the Fortune to the _________. But you have to read the story to find out what.

In reading this ripping naval adventure, I found myself rooting for these American heroes, which just goes to show the talent of the author. You see, this particular reader is a Canadian citizen, born on British soil. It’s a bit of a switch for me to root for characters who fought on the other side of the war of 1812. But then we're good friends now. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender the Heart.