Carmen Carroquino's Reviews > Saints at the River

Saints at the River by Ron Rash

F_50x66
Sep 12, 10

With the novel Saints at the River, I learned about characterization and how a man writing as a female character can seem ingenuine at times. I first read this novel in an ENC 1102 class and while reading it I noticed how the main character Maggie was portrayed. At times it didn't like Ron Rash the author stayed in character with her. It seemed at times that he wrote like a man writing emotions and thoughts for a woman when, as the reader, you're not supposed to notice that. In some scenes where she was supposed to feel vulnerable, the way Rash wrote about her seemed to break the scene and not allow me to connect with Maggie. She seemed cold in those moment and unattached, emotions I think of a guy portraying in those moments. Writing as the opposite sex is a challenge and really teaches you to be in tune with how that gender handles different things and situations. Saints at the River, a novel about a little girl drowning in the river where her body is stuck between rocks and the townspeople are debating whether to remove her body and disrupt nature or leave her alone,taught me how writing as the opposite sex can be challenging and, if not done correctly, can make the reader detach from the story and question the characters authenticity.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saints at the River.