Ninakix's Reviews > Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age

Cognitive Surplus by Clay Shirky

1923397
Jan 01, 14

bookshelves: internet-reads, books-2010, favorites
Read in August, 2010

I loved Shirky's first book, Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations, and given Shirky's reputation, I had high expectations for the second. That said, I was occasionally a little bit disappointed: I wanted something that delved a little deeper into the machinations and psychology of these communal groups, but I instead felt like much of this book focused on "Look, we can now communicate online," and offered a repository of Shirky's stories of online communities. That said, this book was still fabulous. Between the lines, and reading into the information Shirky shares, there's a wealth of ideas and thoughts to consider. I wish I'd had it on Kindle, just so I could mark the book up and return to the many interesting quotes and observations later on. Shirky is definitely a well-deserving thought leader in this area, and I would highly recommend that you read this if you have any interest whatsoever in online communities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cognitive Surplus.