Trisha's Reviews > Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere by Mike Carey

Sep 13, 10

Read in July, 2009

Richard Mayhew is in a rather dysfunctional relationship, being controlled by his girlfriend rather completely. But on the day he defies her and stops to help a mysterious woman, his life changes. Now he's in a strange place being pursued by dangerous men, and he's partially responsible for saving this new world.

When I bought this book, I didn't realize it was the graphic novel version of a full length Neil Gaiman book. Now, all I can think about is reading the actual book. Reviews indicate that this version is a pretty true adaptation with just a few plot points missing.

For some reason though, I wanted more when reading this. I like graphic novels; I appreciate the art work, the concise dialogue-based writing, but certain stories leave me thinking that the back story and further plot development are practically necessary. This is one of them. Perhaps my feeling of "something lacking" is a sign of how good the novel is...I want more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaitlin Actually, although part of that 'wanting more' feeling is because of the 1 or 2 minor plot points that weren't included. I felt exactly the same way after finishing the novel. The book is perfectly set up for a sequel, but Neil Gaiman seems to recognize that that mystery at the end is memorable and can be appreciated without the need for a sequel. You might have no idea what i'm talking about because you haven't read the book yet, but that's what I think.

Trisha I'll have to check out the full novel soon. I have it on my shelves waiting to be read. :)