Chris Dietz's Reviews > The Iliad

The Iliad by Homer

Jan 03, 11

Read from October 24 to December 28, 2010

This book was long. Not as long as some other books, but it felt longgg. Not much went on- people kept killing, people kept dying, gods got angry, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. The language was nice, even beautiful at some points, but I can't help thinking that if characters didn't trade their histories at every interaction it could be 300, maybe even 400 pages shorter. As good as a translation as it was, this seemed to enforce the idea that there's a pretty big disconnect in the experience of the written word versus orality i.e. if epic poetry is placed in book form, it's boring. It didn't even cover the Trojan horse- really? Even though I only finished this because I felt I had to, I'll still read the Odyssey- apparently, it's better. My advice would be to just rent the movie Troy- now that's entertainment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iliad.

10/31/2010 page 16
2.0% "Still in the introduction, which is basically an essay on the differences and disputes between the contemporary Homer and classic Homer, dealing mostly with the example of poetic meter."
11/07/2010 page 77
11.0% "Just read 66 pages worth of a single-spaced, small-font analytical essay about pronunciation of proper names according to Greek and Latin standards- that was painful. The real book starts now!" 3 comments
11/10/2010 page 110
16.0% "I'm finally in the real poem- it feels a lot more readable than it should be..."
11/28/2010 page 214
30.0% "I'm not as far into it as I would like, but the pace is picking up a bit (at least as much pace as a centuries-old epic poem can have)."
12/06/2010 page 250
36.0% "It's starting to drag a bit, because all fights scenes are basically a variation on 'and so ----, son of ----, was cut down by ----, son of ----, who had done ----, and his father had ----, and finally darkness swam across his eyes.' It can get a little bland."
12/27/2010 page 325
46.0% "It's not exactly the most varied experience, but the translation makes it feel pretty fresh. Do the characters really need to give somebody's biopic every time they address them?"
show 3 hidden updates…