Mylinda's Reviews > Miles Away... Worlds Apart

Miles Away... Worlds Apart by Alan Sakowitz

Sep 12, 2010

Read in September, 2010

Miles Away…Worlds Apart by Alan Sakowitz is a true novel about an every day person who bumps into what he considers an intolerable situation. I found it interesting enough to keep reading it on and off for three days.

The novel successfully presents the reader with lessons and insight about life and people. From the many varied ways that Rothstein tried to draw Sakowitz into the fold, to the ever changing answers to the author’s questions, the insights give the reader a guide to use in their own lives.

Lessons about what the author went through included his thought and feelings at the time. In addition the author shows us insight he has gained through his faith and community. Using these lessons and applying them to corruption is one of the best parts of the book. At the same time all of this is done within the confines of what at times is a frightening story.

The reader is led through the maze of corruption to show how people can choose to use what they know to be the type of person they want to be. Sakowitz thrills us through looking at the people who just do not care and are deeply involved. These people go from the governor to police to athletes to leaders of local non-profits. He resists involving his friends in this web with thoughtfulness and grace.

The choice of being the best person we can be is illustrated by the fact he does not just walk away. We all choose the person we want to be when we decide what the next step is with information we have.

Some people choose to protect the people they may or may not know as well. From the beginning the author had suspicions about what he was told. The reader starts learning terminology from the beginning. The concept of conflict of interest is introduced early in the story.

The reader is introduced to the concept of kindness and real caring with descriptions about all of the freely respectfully given services available to people in the author’s community. Descriptions and little vignettes tell about the extensive efforts made to meet members of the communities needs. Meeting needs while preserving dignity is important in this story. The corrupt community and the author’s community were even adjacent.
This belief in community is what led the author to become a whistle blower.

The danger an everyday person puts himself into, for his community and people he does and does not know, is breathtaking to this reader. I literally could not leave this book alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miles Away... Worlds Apart.

Mylinda It was really an awesome book. I still think about it and it's been at least a couple months since I read it.