Steven Peterson's Reviews > Joy of Cooking

Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer

Sep 12, 10

I have a copy of the 1997 edition of “Joy of Cooking.” It is probably my most used cookbook. The recipes are doable (for the most part), clearly written, and produce nice tasting meals! I am a big fan of that classic. And this volume represents the 75th anniversary version of this classic, originally published in 1931.

One thing I wanted to do is to see if some of my favorite recipes had been changed. For example, my old copy of “Joy of Cooking” contains a recipe for fried rice that was better than three versions from three cookbooks that I had earlier tried. I have a high comfort level within the 1997 recipe. And, in the 75th anniversary version, that recipe is pretty much the same. I appreciate that!

At the front of the book are useful items—such as nutritional information, how to entertain, how to develop menus for various occasions (such as holiday dinners, special occasions (such as a Super Bowl Party—great to see Buffalo chicken wings listed here), and so on.

Some interesting points of interest for me. Speaking of Buffalo chicken wings. . . . The recipe for making your own is page 80 (under appetizers and hors d’oeuvres). Ingredients: chicken wings, flour, salt, pepper, vegetable oil, butter, red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar), and hot pepper sauce. On the side, of course, celery sticks and blue cheese dressing to cut the heat. Step by step, the recipe does a nice job of taking you through the process. Simple to make—great to taste! And you can heat it up if you want something fiery, simply by ramping up the amount of pepper sauce.

Buffalo. . . . Free association. There are also game recipes here. And two of these feature buffalo meat—buffalo burgers and buffalo rib roast with orange molasses glaze. Every so often, I will buy buffalo (bison) at a nearby store and make simple dishes. The two recipes here are more imaginative than what I normally do, and I look forward to experimenting. Other beasts in the Game section: Bear, Boar, Mountain goat, Venison, and Rabbit. Not sure I’ll explore making these, but it is fun to go through the recipes.

Anyhow, I’m not going to throw out my current edition of “Joy of Cooking,” but I’m interested in becoming more acquainted with new recipes (500) as well as updated classics. Well worth acquiring and test running!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joy of Cooking.