Relyn's Reviews > Meet Addy: An American Girl

Meet Addy by Connie Rose Porter

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: lawsonland, 2011-reread
Recommended to Relyn by: teacher in Nixa
Recommended for: teachers, parents, kids
Read in August, 2010, read count: 2

I was told that this was a perfect read aloud for second graders. That this book was exciting and compelling and loved by both boys and girls. So, I gave it a try and started my school year with Meet Addy. On Monday we begin the 5th Addy book with every student in my class - boys and girls - always voting to read the next one. It takes about a week to read one of these books and they are always fast-paced and compelling. Connie Rose Porter also makes history accessible by choosing to focus on events that still resonate with children today. Seriously. Think about it... a class of 10 boys voting to read book after book. Book after AMERICAN GIRL book.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meet Addy.

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Bonini Your boys like this, too? Do you have a particular time of the day that you read aloud? How long is the collective attention span for listening?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Bonini I believe you, but I'm still amazed.

Relyn This is my second year of doing it and they are just as popular this year. I do read aloud at the very end of the day after packing up. Of course good read aloud always includes stopping for discussion, clarification, and connection. Even so, my kids can go about 25 minutes before they get too squirmy. I keep a big pile of pillows, over sized stuffies, and such for comfort. Plus, have I have an extra rug that pads the floor pretty well. A sofa completes the reading corner. FUN!

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Bonini How often do you stop to explain vocabulary words? Do you try to pick just one or two each session?

Relyn They are welcome to stop me anytime they don't understand. Then, I stop when I think they might be confused. We do a lot of lessons on using context clues to determine meaning, so they don't need as much help as you might expect by this point in the year.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris McNeal Just had to chime in here... my SON is in Relyn's class this year, and he is LOVING the Addy books. He talks about them all the time, and has asked if we can check out more at the library!! He has enjoyed it so much, he is very open to reading other American Girl books. Just as a side note, the girls at church are VERY impressed by the fact that he can carry on a knowledgeable "American Girl" conversation with them. :)