Keziah Wallis's Reviews > Lord of the Fading Lands

F_50x66
Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: to-edit
Read from September 13 to 14, 2010

An interesting read, Lord of the Fading Lands is a book that had I read it last year would probably have received 4 stars. Similar in style to Anne Bishop's The Black Jewels series, Lord of the Fading Lands has a wonderfully imaginative world rich in history and detail. The world of Eloran is home to the immortal Fey, a race who live behind an impenetrable curtain of magic called the Faering Mists. The king of the Fey is the last of the Tairen Souls, Fey who are skilled at all the forms of magic and who host the soul of a Tairen, a race of winged cats. On the advice of the mystical Tairen Eye Rain (Rainier vel'En Daris) sets off to Celieria for the first time in a thousand years to find his Truemate. Enter Ellie (Ellysetta Baristani) the adopted daughter of a woodcarver and his wife. Ellie has spent her whole life trying to suppress her natural magical powers.

The book reads more along the lines of a paranormal romance than a high fantasy novel, however this is not necessarily a bad thing. I was quickly swept into the story and desperate for answers. Unfortunately my discovery came after my feminist enlightenment and so I found Rain a far less endearing hero than I would have a year ago. I found it difficult to particularly warm to Ellie as well. She is a little too naieve and innocent although hopefully this will change as she grows and develops throughout the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Fading Lands.

05/03 marked as: to-edit