Donna's Reviews > The Gone-Away World

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, science-fiction, scifi-fantasy-ebook-club
Read in September, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I just finished the book and am really not sure what I think of it yet. I didn't like the beginning and it seemed over-long, but I kept wanting to know where it was all going and what was going to happen.

I was confused for a long time after they got hit with the Stuff and nobody seemed to know our main character (who it took me quite a while to realize didn't have a name). What was going on? Then when the big twist is revealed, that he is New, well, that's just a great twist. I had also been waiting half the book for Elisabeth to show back up so was very glad when she did.

That the fire on the pipe... was all just to get Gonzo to bring in Bey seemed too far-fetched. So I was getting bummed at the last 5% and the assault on the company. Then suddenly the mimes turned out to be The House of the Voiceless Dragon. Loved that. Nice job of bringing it all around.

So, what do I think of it? I'm glad I read it but I don't want to read it again. It definitely kept me on my toes. I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone because it's really long and I would be afraid they would hate it(!) I am very impressed that it is a first novel.

I think I will give it 4 stars although apparently I can't explain why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gone-Away World.