Torzilla's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Sep 15, 10

bookshelves: arc-tour, reviewed, read-in-2010

For the longest time, I have avoided reading HUSH, HUSH. I've heard everything about it from how I'd either love it, hate it, how it was too similar to TWILIGHT, how it wasn't anything like TWILIGHT, how Patch was a psycho.... you name it, and I've read the review and/or commentary. So it was with great reluctance that I began reading this book. Ironically, I had no expectations for the book because of all the mixed opinions out there. I truly did not know how I would feel about it, and I think that's what made me love it even more.

But if you don't believe me, I started this book at 11PM 9/14/10... and am up writing this review at 3:30AM 9/15/10. With my college class waiting for me bright and early in a few hours.

The sleep deprivation will be so worth it.

I adored Nora from the start. She wasn't like your typical YA heroine who becomes a puddle of moronic hormones the second a hot guy or two saunters onto her radar. She's spunky and suspicious of Patch during their first encounter. And their next. And the next. This girl has a level head (though there were some moments where she succumbed to the hotness that is Patch, and I don't blame her in the slightest), which is a respectable and rare quality in most YAs I've read as of late.

Which is why, while I appreciated the friendship betwixt Nora and Vee, I also didn't like it. I felt like Nora could do a lot better, and sometimes wished she would give Vee a good shake or two. If insanity and absentmindedness ever hooked up, Vee would be their miracle baby.

And Patch... Oh Patch, he has just secured a special place in my heart. I thought I was going to hate him. I thought he was some psycho and that all the reviews calling him such cruel names were spot on. I had my suspicions about him; wondered to myself how Becca was going to redeem him in my eyes after all this talk with murder and whatnot.

I loved the connection between Nora and Patch. I was giggling like a buffoon after reading a few of the scenes where the two get up close and personal. I was convinced of the attraction between the two, which is so important to me when I read a PNR. This, like a few other YAs I've read, redeemed the genre for me. I need more Nora and Patch pronto.

The ending was my favorite part. I didn't see it coming, and it was perfect. Perfect. Even now, an hour later, I've got a huge smile on my face.

Aside from a few parts that confused me, and Vee being silly, I had no complaints about this book. The confusing parts seemed a little vague, yet were explained a few pages later. And Vee? Well, I'll just think of her as the special sidekick for now.

HUSH, HUSH is one of the few books that I think the masses were spot on about. This book was amazing, and I am SO incredibly happy that I'll be able to read CRESCENDO soon enough. I think this novel is one of my favorite fallen angel stories out there. Highly suggest checking this one out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.