Dana's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

May 14, 07

Recommended for: Anyone looking for guidance
Read in April, 2007

At first I thought this book was going to be yet another divorced woman traveling the world story. It turned out to be so much more. This woman's path of discovery into herself is inspiring.

Just read this and tell me you aren't hooked:

“But I wish me and David could---“
He cuts me off. “See, now that’s your problem. You’re wishin’ too much baby. You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone oughtta be.”
This line gives me the first laugh of the day.
Then I ask Richard, “So how long will it be before all this grieving passes?”
“You want an exact date?”
“Yes”
“Somethin’ you can circle on your calendar?”
“Yes”
“Lemme tell you something, Groceries – you got some serious control issues.”
My rage at this statement consumes me like fire. Control issues? ME? I actually consider slapping Richard for this insult. And then, from right down inside the intensity of my offended outrage comes the truth. The immediate, obvious, laughable truth.
He’s totally right.
The fire passes out of me, fast as it came.
“You’re totally right,” I say.
“I know I’m right, baby. Listen, you’re a powerful woman and you’re used to getting what you want out of life, and you didn’t get what you wanted in your last few relationships and it’s got you all jammed up. Your husband didn’t behave the way you wanted him to and David didn’t either. Life didn’t go your way for once. And nothing pisses off a control freak more than life not goin’ her way.”
“Don’t call me a control freak, please.”
“You have got control issues, Groceries. Come on, Nobody ever told you this before?”
(Well…yeah. But the thing about divorcing someone is that you kind of stop listening to all the mean stuff they say after a while.)
So I buck up and admit it. “OK, I think you’re probably right. Maybe I do have problem with control. It’s just weird that you noticed. Because I don’t think it’s that obvious on the surface. I mean – I bet most people can’t see my control issues when they first look at me.”
Richard from Texas laughs so hard he almost loses his toothpick.
“They can’t? Honey- Ray Charles could see your control issues!”
“Ok – I think I am done with this conversation now – thank you.”
“You gotta learn to let go, Groceries. Otherwise you are gonna make yourself sick. Never gonna have a good night’s sleep again. You’ll just toss and turn forever, beatin’ on yourself for being such a fiasco in life. What’s wrong with me? How come I screw up all my relationships? Why am I such a failure? Lemme guess- that’s probably what you were up at all hours doin’ to yourself again last night.”
“All right Richard, that’s enough,” I say. “I don’t want you walking around inside my head anymore.”
“Shut the door then,” says my big Texas Yogi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lulu I just finished this book and the section that you've highlighted is the key portion that set the hook for me to finish. Up until this point, I thought that it was a well-written, funny book about a woman's attempt to find herself, but still found myself waiting for the women's magazine/Oprah/self-help feeling to wear off.

At this point, I literally fell off my chair.

(Of course, that's because I sat up from my lawn chair too soon, the front part of the chair collapsed, I spilled my afternoon adult beverage and ended up in a heap on the ground, but that's another story...)

Still - I was hooked.

Lori Widmer Bean Isn't this book loaded with great lines? That one stuck with me like glue. I went back and listened to it again (audio version).

Another that gets me: "There's part of me that really wishes I wanted to do that."

message 3: by Neil (new) - added it

Neil Mudde I am absolutely not hooked, no redemptive quality what soever, she does not realize how lucky she is to be able to take off anywhere and moan

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Absolutely best part of the book.... It makes me want to read it a third time! Or wait, maybe I'll just watch the movie I have already seen 5 times :-) Thank you for your post.