Jen's Reviews > How the Irish Saved Civilization

How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill

Mar 19, 08

bookshelves: history
Read in March, 2008

This was awful. Many reviews say things like "charming" and "pleasant," but I thought it was tedious and meandering. Not all history has to be chronological; there's interesting stuff in here but it's too long with details of Roman society. Also, the author writes like a blow-hard, and interjects things like "Alas!" and "Dear Reader" and "It is up to the reader to decide." That kind of stuff irritates me to no end.

Searching for info online, I found references that refute much of what the author posits, including info about St. Patrick. Granted, the author (in tedious and blow-harded notes) acknowledges that no one can say exactly what happened, but he's disguising mythology and folklore as truth.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Irish Saved Civilization.

message 1: by Eliza (new)

Eliza I listened to this on tape too, Jen! It was one of those books that was totally fascinating the whole time I was listening, but now I've forgotten everything that was in it. Maybe I'll read it again.

Kathleen I read it years ago and still remember it. My opinion does not coincide with yours.

Mark My experience with this book was different, also- not that your points were in any way invalid in my opinion, Jen.