Susan's Reviews > The Eight

The Eight by Katherine Neville

F_50x66
Sep 11, 10

Read in September, 2010

The only book I can remember hating as much or more than this is that goddamn piece of trash, waste of paper, and rape of the English language that is Dan Brown's DaVinci Code. Man, that was a really bad book. This one isn't quite that god-awful-- the writing is slightly better-- but for me, I was an insanely angry and irritated reader when I FINALLY finished plowing through it. It has been compared to Umberto Eco (whose Name of the Rose IS a great beach read), but damn, that's a pretty big insult to Eco. Maybe it's just because I don't get the chess themes of it? But, themes or no, it's a hugely bloated novel, and that alone pisses me off. Where was their editor??
A friend recommended this-- a friend that rarely steers me wrong-- as a good beach read. However, the torture of reading this book produced at one little black cloud (i.e., the one over my head) for a day or two at the Outer Banks this week.
In short, I guess you could say that I did not care for this and would not recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eight.