Midnight's Reviews > Hearts at Stake

Hearts at Stake by Alyxandra Harvey

Sep 11, 2010

Read in July, 2010

I wasn't sure what I would think of this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. Both the lead characters, Solange and Lucy, are very memorable, of course so is Solange's brother Nicholas who seems to have a bantering relationship with Lucy that has lasted since childhood. So what is unique about this story. Well, Solange is the youngest of 8 children, all born of a vampire father and a human mother. The children are born human, but on their 16th birthday they undergo and change, and if they are strong enough, they will survive the change but became vampires. Solange's 7 brothers have all survive the change, and Solange herself is nearing her 16th birthday. The question is not only is she strong enough to survive the change, but will she live long enough to reach her 16th birthday. You see, Solange has a prophecy that has followed her all her life, one she does not want fulfilled, and Lucy? Well, she know the prophecy, she knows Solange's family, and she will do anything to help protect Solange from those out to killer - including a vampire hunter who believes that Solange's family killed his father.

As I said, a very interesting story, and a very interesting family - one I definitely want to hear more about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts at Stake.