Jennifer's Reviews > Pretty Little Things

Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman

Sep 25, 2010

Read from September 11 to 24, 2010 — I own a copy

From my book review blog Rundpinne.

Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman is a powerful legal suspense thriller about a serial killer dubbed Picasso, who abducts girls by befriending them via social networking sites on the Internet. Hoffman brings the dreadful reality of cyber-stalking and the sobering statistics of missing children to light through FDLE Special Agent Supervisor Bobby Dee and the CAC (Crimes Against Children) task force. Hoffman tells two parallel stories; finding the whereabouts of Lainey who is most likely Picasso’s latest victim and Dee’s personal struggle with his own daughter, who he and his wife have not seen for almost a year, another missing child, another statistic. Hoffman weaves together an intricate plot filled with false leads while educating the reader on legal precedents and procedures, missing children, often referred to as “throwaway” children, and just how clever criminals are becoming with technology. Hoffman’s characters are well developed and diverse, making it easy to empathize with some, root for them, or in other cases, merely dislike. Even though I felt it was fairly obvious who the Picasso killer was, it did not detract from the excellent storyline of wanting to know what motivated the killer, how to find Picasso as well as finding Lainey, and learning the various legalities needed to apprehend offenders. Pretty Little Things is filled with a parent’s worst nightmares yet was handled masterfully and was a book I did not want to put down. I would recommend Pretty Little Things to any reader who is looking for an excellent suspense/thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Little Things.