Cynthia .'s Reviews > The Cider House Rules

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: john-irving, classics, bbc-s-the-big-read, 1000
Read in July, 2012

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cider House Rules.

Quotes Cynthia Liked

John Irving
“… and so he tried to accept the ache in his heart as what Dr. Larch would call the common symptoms of normal life.”

John Irving
“It´s natural to want someone you love to do what you want, or what you think would be good for them, but you have to let everything happen to them. You can't interfere with people you love any more than you're supposed to interfere with people you don't even know. And that's hard, ..., because you often feel like interfering -you want to be the one who makes the plans.”
tags: love

John Irving
“Wherever Melony went, she would not be without guidance, she would not be without love, without faith; she had a good book with her. If only she kept reading it and reading it...”

John Irving
“Being wrong about important things is exhausting.”

John Irving
“What is this fascination the world has with death?”

John Irving
“My brain is sending poison to my heart.”

John Irving
“I think about you more and more, but I don't waste my time - or yours - thinking about who you were before I knew you.”

John Irving
“Did anyone who was in love and was unsatisfied with how he was loved in return ever feel saved?”

John Irving
“Love was certainly not safe - not ever.”
tags: love

John Irving
“It's not right to hurt or deceive someone who's already been hurt and deceived.”

John Irving
“Children are most impressed with the importance of a moment when they witness a parent breaking the parents' own rule.”

07/13/2012 page 195
20.0% "But how does it help anyone to look forward to the past?"
07/16/2012 page 360
37.0% "...it is madness in all women to let her secret love kindle within them, which, if unreturned and unknown, must devour the life that feeds it..."
07/18/2012 page 496
51.0% "My brain is sending poison to my heart."
07/19/2012 page 593
61.0% "...that sky above me, where, in the mystery to come, I might yet love her with a love unknown on earth, and tell her what the strife had been within me when I loved her here."
07/22/2012 page 904
93.0% "How we love to love things for other people; how we love to have other people love things through our eyes."
show 2 hidden updates…