Roberta's Reviews > Red River

Red River by Lalita Tademy

F 50x66
Sep 11, 10

I haven't yet read Cane River (which many reviewers here seem to like better than Red River), but I found Red River extremely engrossing and I love that it was based on a real incident (of which I had never heard). Also that the author tried to tell the Colfax Massacre and family story as accurately as possible is really important to me. When dealing with historical events, I get pretty annoyed at author's that do much "tinkering" with facts that are pretty much known.
The story was compelling and the writing was gentle, literary and touching. I really enjoyed it. At times it moved pretty slowly. I particularly had trouble staying with it in the beginning: I was listening to the CD (and reader was very good) but the tone and pace made it too easy for me to drift off into other thoughts until I got more involved personally in the story.
I'm looking forward to Cane River.
I think this book is important both for its writing as well as for what it tells us and how it keeps this part of America's past is our awareness when it belongs.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red River.

message 1: by Floy (new)

Floy I hope you have read Cane River by now..if not, and you love HF, do yourself a favor, and read it..you won't be disappointed..