Liz's Reviews > The American: A Special Edition of A Very Private Gentleman

The American by Martin Booth

Jun 19, 13

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Liz by: self
Recommended for: people who have seen the movie
Read from September 18 to 22, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I thought this book was good once I really got into it. It was very slow in the beginning, and it tended to bore me with all the details on guns and bullets. I enjoyed the story line.

It is about a man "Mr. Butterfly" who makes guns by hand for the assassins and their specifications. He is currently residing in an Italian village. He is very private and never lets anyone know his name or where he lives or what he really does. Everyone thinks he is an artist who paints butterflies. He vows his next job is his last one. He is going to retire. He also promises to never fall in love, which he breaks. He falls in love with Clara, a much younger woman supporting herself through college as a prostitute. During the book, Mr Butterfly notices a shadow dweller following him. He does all he can at first to avoid him, but then he decides to engage him and see what he wants. At the end of the book he ends up engaging him more than he wants. The last job he did was actually for a hit on himself, fortunately he avoided being shot. However, his good friend the priest Benedicto was shot and killed by the assassin who was a guy that tried to take out others in the past and failed and had a vengence for Mr butterfly. Mr. Butterfly shot him dead and fled the scene. He leaves the book off thinking about Clara.

I would love a sequel to this, and hope that Clara and him would get together and lead a life of suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia This should have a spoiler alert! The entire plot, climax, denouement, & resolution are in the review!!!