Nikki's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Sep 12, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, children-s-and-ya, classics
Read from September 11 to 12, 2010

Having just finished reading The Last Unicorn, I'm not at all sure what to say about it, or how I feel about it. I felt vaguely enchanted by it -- not in the sense of it being twee and sweet and Disney, but in the sense of it having a hold over me. I loved the writing, the richness of it, the strange and new descriptions, e.g. "the air hung shiny as candy" -- things that don't quite make logical sense, and yet, you know what they mean.

I loved the fairytale qualities interspersed with bits of humour, with funny references, like Shmendrick knowing how to deal with Cully because he knows his Anglo-Saxon folklore, and the reference to Child -- a reference I got: he collected a lot of Robin Hood ballads. I loved the bittersweetness of it, even with the humour, the way it doesn't come out fairytale-perfect.

I might have to come back later, and say more, when it's settled in my mind/heart.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.

09/11/2010
10.0% "I haven't started reading another book. Not at all. Whatever do you mean?"
09/11/2010
25.0% "I can't believe I've never read this before. It's always been in the back of my consciousness as something I should read. Anyway, I'm enjoying it."
09/12/2010
28.0% "I interrupt your regular updates to say bahahaha to this: "In fact, Schmendrick had never heard of Captain Cully before that very evening, but he had a good grounding in Anglo-Saxon folklore and knew the type.""
09/12/2010
40.0% "The whole bit with the outlaws amused me rather a lot, with the references to Child which I got, and, hee."
09/12/2010
53.0% "Oh, the poor unicorn! And some of the descriptions are so perfect and lovely."
09/12/2010
68.0% "Hmmm. Of course the cat wouldn't give a straight answer. It never works out that easily."
09/12/2010
82.0% "Hmmm. Strangely enough, I don't really know how this is going to turn out, or how I want it to turn out."
09/12/2010
100.0% "I don't even know how to feel right now!"

message 1: by Suna (last edited Oct 04, 2010 06:00AM) (new) - added it

Suna I can't believe I've never got round to reading this, either, especially since the movie was a very powerful childhood experience for me, too. I'm not sure whether it would stand up to my biased adult self, but I will certainly give the original book a try....

Nikki I never saw the movie! I should.

message 3: by Suna (new) - added it

Suna It's one of those that may be unwise to revisit after having grown up...but I might LoveFilm it.

Tria Have you still never seen the film, Nikki? I have it on VHS and DVD, if you'd like to borrow one or the other; it's a childhood favourite of mine, and I always loved the soundtrack (recorded & composed by America, with some very different lyrics than the songs in the book, but still somehow they fit).