Amy's Reviews > Giraffe

Giraffe by J.M. Ledgard

Jan 09, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in January, 2008

This is my second attempt at this book; for some reason, the first go-round didn't quite take and I gave up before I'd read 75 pages.

I initially was intrigued by this book for the very simple reason that the giraffe is my favorite animal. After discovering that the subject - the slaughter of the giraffe herd in the Czechoslovakian zoo in the 1970s - was true even though the book is fiction (that's not a spoiler - it's mentioned on the back cover of the book) I decided to give it a read; I don't think I would have read it if someone had just made that up.

So far - still just under 100 pages in - the book is a little slow. Cold, actually, is the best word I can think to describe it - the book has a very cold atmosphere, so, like most things in cold weather, everything in it trudges along very slowly. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you're looking for a slam-bang thrill-a-minute ride, this is not the book for you.

Possible spoiler:
Also, I may be the only person in the world who actually enjoyed the chapters that were narrated by the giraffe. I didn't realize the book was going to have multiple narrators: Snehurka kind of threw me at first (like, how does a giraffe in Africa identify Czechoslovakians?), I must admit that I was disappointed when the third chapter switched over to Emil.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giraffe.