Virginia's Reviews > Pathfinder

Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

Jan 09, 11

bookshelves: read-2011
Read from January 08 to 09, 2011

Sometimes, the cleverness and incredible adeptness and genius of the main character, Rigg, surpasses my ability to suspend disbelief. Not the spaceships and spacetime-jumping folds creating duplicate persons. Not the ability to become invisible or see the paths of all beings or slowing down time. Not even a ridiculous confluence of events. However, if I were to be trained since birth on game theory, different languages, etc. I could be half as able. Ok, no joke. One third. I do so wish that I could be as witty and clever as Rigg (although, not necessarily his situation).

My one minor gripe about the book is when the characters talk about the paradoxes of time travel. I understand why they do it (since they're figuring out how it works), but man, it can get confusing real quick. (As is the point, I suppose.)

This book is another great start of a trilogy by Card. He's promised to pump out a Pathfinder book a year until it's done (along with a Mithermage book a year until that series is done) but I'll believe it when I see it. Plus, he just had a mild stroke on New Year's day, and I wish him a speedy recovery. I'd rather the books be delayed than Card no longer be able to write - that's for sure. Besides, he's promised not to die until he's done with both trilogies. So there. HE PROMISED.

I loved this book and the two separate stories. I particularly found the Ram story line distinctly intriguing - especially in how it fits together with Rigg's. But I suppose that's because Ram's part is so much shorter and always ends with cliffhangers. It's hard not to like that one more. I thoroughly enjoyed figuring this story out and trying to grasp at all the goodies and clues Card throws in to help the reader along. He does not disappoint. Plus, if you're totally confused at the end, Card does explain what happens in the acknowledgments.

I can't wait for the others in the series. Awesome book. Oh, and the book broke my brain.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pathfinder.

01/08/2011 page 345

Becky I agree completely! I found myself skipping ahead to read the Ram parts and then going back to read Rigg's story. Both were so well done!

message 2: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Pretty good book. I am impressed, he kept me guessing what was going on until the end.

Christopher Smith I didn't know about his stroke. I hope he recovers fully!

Christopher Smith By the way, we're still waiting for the "promised" sequels to Lovelock, which Card wrote back in the 1980s...

Vicky My thoughts exactly. My brain was tied in knots by the end.