Bridget's Reviews > The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker

Sep 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in September, 2010

I think I would have liked this book more whole-heartedly if one or the other of Elna Baker and I weren't Mormon. Even as it was, I liked it. I thought it was funny, engaging, well written, and thought-provoking. However, Elna Baker is very different from me and I found that I could not distance myself from the choices she made. I disagreed with a lot of what she did, and that grated on me as the book went on.

The Mormon issue aside, this is a great memoir. It's the story of journeys: from fat girl to thin girl, from teen to adult, from directionless to employed, from Mormon to...? all in one person.

I loved the description of "Amber Cunningham." So great. I didn't love the occasionally explicit content.

I'm coming to the end of this review and I still don't know how many stars to give it. Hmm. Let's try three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I'm really intrigued by this book... is it worth reading?

Bridget Yes. I'm not sorry I read it, not by a long shot. Just know that it is only with reservations that I recommend it.