Abby Johnson's Reviews > Deadly

Deadly by Julie Chibbaro

Sep 10, 2010

Read in November, 2010

Ever since her brother died of an infected wound, Prudence has been determined to further the medical sciences and save lives, but that's not easy when you're a 16-year-old girl in 1906 New York City. When she takes a secretarial job at the Department of Health and Sanitation, Prudence begins working with Mr. Soper, trying to track cases of typhoid and figure out how to stop the epidemic. All tracks seem to lead to one woman - Mary Mallon - but "Typhoid Mary" refuses to believe that she carries the disease. After all, she's never been sick a day in her life.

This book was right up my alley and I really enjoyed it. I definitely think that Prudence Galewski and Mattie Gokey would be college roommates and BFFs. The icky medical stuff won't be for everyone (though it's not really graphic), but I loved it. The writing's strong and the setting and subject matter has been thoroughly researched. My one complaint is that the ending was sort of anti-climactic. I wanted more resolution between Prudence and certain male characters (no spoilers).

It's Jennifer Donnelly's A Northern Light meets Laurie Halse Anderson's Fever, 1793 and recommended for fans of either.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly.

Anne I agree! It seemed like all the interesting stuff never came to be. Never said whether she goes to med school, etc. and I also wanted to have the love triangle resolved.