Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf

Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert

Sep 24, 10

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, non-fiction, nature, picture-books, groups-buddies, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Recommended for: those who have sugar maple trees on their property or in their neighborhood
Read on September 24, 2010

This is one of the books for October’s Autumn/Halloween theme at the Picture Books club, one of the Children's Books group's clubs. Of the six monthly books for this club, I’d read two and I’m waiting for three to arrive. This is the first one I’ve read specifically for the club.

Well, I thought I was going to love this when I opened the book and saw a leaf shape cut out of yellow over orange (I am often easily entertained) and I did like this book, but I wasn’t wowed.

I liked the non-fiction parts best, sections where information is given about sugar maple trees, and I liked the illustrations, although I loved only a very few. But I didn’t find the “story” all that entertaining. I think children who are in a position to plant and/or tend a sugar maple are most likely to find this book engaging. My favorite thing (even though it’s not vegan – egg white is included) was the how to make a bird treat on the inside back cover of the book, which includes a photo of the heart shaped finished product and the instructions to make it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jackie "the Librarian" Ehlert is always better at the visuals than the text. I wish she would pair up with someone!

Lisa Vegan Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Ehlert is always better at the visuals than the text. I wish she would pair up with someone!"

That's a good point, Jackie. If I'm remembering the other books by her that I've read, I think that I agree with you.

Kathryn I so agree, Lisa! I expected to love this, but only felt like saying, "meh" when I was done. It's such a neat idea with the illustrations but the text does fall flat. I think the illustrator teaming up with a better wordsmith would be great!

Lisa Vegan Apparently they want to do the whole thing and there's a publisher who will publish them. I expected to love this much more too, but the autumn illustrations were lovely.

Crystal Marcos Lisa, our reviews were very similiar. My favorite part was the bird treat too.

Lisa Vegan Crystal wrote: "Lisa, our reviews were very similiar. My favorite part was the bird treat too."

Crystal, Could you post a link to your review in this thread please? Thanks.