Alice's Reviews > The Bullpen Gospels: A Non-Prospect's Pursuit of the Major Leagues and the Meaning of Life

The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst

Dec 03, 10

bookshelves: please-buy-me, wishlist
Recommended to Alice by: Jake
Recommended for: Baseball fans
Read from September 10 to December 03, 2010, read count: 1 so far

So, I finally finished this book. If I had the time, I surely would have read it all in one sitting. Dirk Hayhurst is hilarious. I love his style of writing. The book is so poignantly written. Despite the name of the book, it is not all beside itself being preachy, yet is sincere, touching and spackled with enough humor to keep you entertained throughout.

My, how times have changed from the "Ball Four" era. I think we all have come down to earth in understanding that we are all human. In this book, Hayhurst finds himself in the Minors being bumped from Double-A, not fully understanding how much in life he's taken for granted. Through the storytelling of one season, he wraps baseball up in a comic gift wrap paired with a realistic bow with a window to his life story.

If you love baseball, check this one out. Definitely. This is being added to my "fav" shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bullpen Gospels.

09/10/2010 page 145